Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Vegetable Stew [Kerala Style] !

Boy oh boy!! Canada is truly a funny place, I tell you. I don't know whether I told you this but I am currently in Canada at a place called Halifax. Heard of it? It houses the world's second largest harbour, and when the Titanic sank, many of the people were buried here. Hmmm..all that is good..but this weather is not. It's supposed to be spring here, but i see no signs of flowers blooming or birds chirping...:(. The sad part of it all is that I come from Dubai, where it's hot most of the year and where I'm used to the scorching heat. But anyways, let's look at the positive side of things. At least I have all my senses in tact to feel the wind through my hair or feel the snow at my fingertips. I guess I'm in the mood to contemplate today.. he he! But before you guys run away, here's my latest recipe. It has been a while since I posted anything vegetarian, and my cousin brother had very kindly requested for a veg recipe. So I decided to give him a medley of veggies in the form of a nice mild flavoured stew. This recipe has been adapted from Rak's kitchen, www.rakskitchen.net, but with a few changes of my own.  Raks, thank you! And Rajesh cheta, this one's for you.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 potatoes, chopped into cubes
  • 2 carrots, chopped into small pieces
  • 1/2 kilo beans - chopped into quarter size pieces
  • 1 onion- finely sliced
  • 1/4" piece ginger, finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies- slit through the centre
  • 1 cup thin coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon oil (refined oil or coconut oil. I used refined Sunflower oil)
  • Salt to taste
METHOD
  • In a saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil and add ginger and green chilies.
  • After a few seconds, add the finely sliced onion and saute till the raw smell goes and it becomes semi transparent. You can add a little salt at this stage to speed up the onion cooking process.
  • Add the green beans, potatoes and carrots along with the thin coconut milk and some more salt.
  • Cover and cook on a medium flam for about 10 minutes.
  • Now add the thick coconut milk and lower the flame. Cook for another 5 minutes.
  • Check salt levels.
  • Switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves and a teaspoon of oil.
Tada, vegetable ishtu (that's how we call it in Kerala) is ready!!! This curry is relatively simple, right? Anyone can do it. And the best part is, you will love it even if you are not a veggie lover. I can't stand veggies, but i can take this stew any day. You could have this with bread, chapathys or appams. So, don't you want to see the final product?
And another one..

So, what do you think? Do let me know your thoughts. The perfect recipe for a rainy day, according to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!