Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Monday, May 7, 2012

Meen tilapichathu- Cochin style fish curry!

Hello all! Hope everyone had a great weekend! On Sunday, I thought of making a fish curry in dedication to someone who has become a very good friend of mine, thanks to my blog :). Her name is Suja Manoj and she has an awesome blog called Kitchen Corner. In fact, this particular recipe is from her blog. I actually got introduced to this recipe through my mother in law since my husband is from Cochin. So I'm dedicating this recipe to Mumma and Suja. Enjoi!

INGREDIENTS
  • 500 gms tilapia fillets (You can also use pomfret and red snapper).
  • 11 shallots
  • 1/4 inch piece ginger, chopped finely
  • 4 pods of garlic, chopped finely
  • 2 green chillies, slit through the centre
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons red chilly powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 teaspoons vinegar
  • Salt to taste
  • Curry leaves-generous amount
  • Oil-2 tablespoons
METHOD
  • Heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
  • Once oil is sufficiently heated, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and saute till the raw smell disappears.
  • Now add shallots and a few curry leaves. Saute till the shallots begin to change colour and they give out a nice aroma. Add some salt at this stage.
  • Reduce the flame and add the turmeric powder followed by the red chilly powder. Fry for a few seconds.
  • Now add the water and vinegar. Check salt levels at this stage.
  • Once the water starts boiling, add the fish.
  • After it boils for a minute, reduce the flame to medium and cover. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or till the fish is done.
  • Garnish with fresh curry leaves and a teaspoon of oil.
Tada, fish curry is ready!! This curry is perfect with rice, appams, chapathys and bread. So, here's the final result, straight from the pan.

Straight from the pan!
And a closeup!

This is a really simple and healthy curry, as is evident from the recipe. So do try it out. Am sure you will enjoy tis! Till next time, God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Neetu,
    looks delicious,love it dear..
    thanks for trying and also for the mention :)
    So we have one thing in common,my hubby is also from Cochin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suja...small world huh! Where in Cochin is he from? A's from Palarivattom. Thanks for the compliments on this curry and all my dishes! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaa that's right..He is from Thopumpady,probably we can meet sometime:)
    take care dear,God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the world is round...we will definately meet! Thank you for all the lovely comments, once again, in this lil space of mine. Ppl like u keep me going!

    Love,

    Neets

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!